We all have parenting 'sins.' Those things we've done that we're not too keen to share with friends or even family (sometimes we don't even tell our other halves for a while!) I thought it would be fun to list a few my most memorable parenting sins and share them with you, my readers and of course for my children in the future (because they will undoubtedly commit these sins themselves!)
1) Pretending the most delicious items of food in the house have been scoffed by Mr B/ the dog/ a random visitor (delete as appropriate) Sometimes children are vultures. Mine included. If I have any chance of getting something tasty for myself sometimes the only way is to hide the desired item (this isn't always a success) or just out right lie to their cute little faces.
2) Laughing when they are in unfortunate circumstances like say...fallen down the toilet. There are those parents who rush immediately to their aid and then there are parents who will film the event and post it to You Tube. I fall in the middle camp which involves rushing to their aid but then seeing a pair of little legs waving in the air with their little butts stuck in the loo and their faces which look as if they don't know whether to laugh or cry just cracks me up. Give me 1 minute to compose myself and I am able to assist once again...with giggles...
3) Blaming a child for something I did...Oh the shame. I once fancied myself as a bit of a hairdresser (I wanted to save money on a trim) so I trimmed Midges hair. Naturally, not being even slightly gifted in the hair department I loped a bit too much off and it was wonky. To avoid the embarrassment of owning up I blamed the whole 'incident' on my 2 year old scissor wielding son Little A and had Mr B had to take Midge to the hair dressers. She never once said I chopped her lovely locks, even she some how bought that Little A had snipped her hair and she returned a half hour later with a lovely looking bob...I still feel guilty for this one.
4) Counting the paddling pool as a bath: Nice day, two children in need of a wash, paddling pool goes out, two children happy, add a bit of bubbles and there you go; two children having fun, outside, in water, with soap. You can thank me later (or not..)
5)Using screen based baby sitters. iPhones handed over when little feet keep getting out of bed. Cartoons on TV so I can wash up, or read a book, or drink a hot drink. The laptop with some Netflix chucked on so I can just sit on my arse..and so on.
6) Saving old, more expensive cereal boxes and placing new, cheaper cereal bags into the boxes. So far this has worked and saved me a fortune. No mum guilt here! (It's still a bit crafty though!)
So there you go, a few parenting sins, there's many more I could share but I would like to here your parenting sins. Leave me a comment or even write a blog post to share with me!