This week I bring you a delicious gluten and dairy free carrot and raisin cake for week 8 of the Great Bloggers Bake Off with Jenny and Helen. It's not a novelty cake but it is a free from cake with a vegetable in!!
I wasn't sure I'd like this cake to be honest but it was SO GOOD! If you'd like to bake this cake then the recipe is below. Enjoy!
175g light muscovado sugar
175ml sunflower oil (I was caught out and used vegetable oil but luckily it was fine!)
3 large eggs
140g grated carrots (about 3 medium)
grated zest of 1 large orange
175g self-raising flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line your cake tin
- Tip the sugar into a large mixing bowl, pour in the oil and add the eggs. Mix a little then stir in the grated carrots, raisins and orange rind.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices. Stir all the ingredients but dont over mix. It should be runny but all nicely blended together.
- Pour the mix into your tin and bake for 40- 45 minutes, until it feels firm and springy when you press it in the centre.
- After the cake is cooled you can mix together some icing sugar and water to make a thick icing to drizzle over the top and sides.